Rainwater harvesting has become part of our everyday language; it is all about taking a vital and precious natural resource and finding ways to collect, store and re-use it, onsite, for domestic, industrial and irrigation needs throughout the year. Every time it rains, you have a chance to harvest it.
Solutions for harvesting rainwater are all about collecting the rainfall before it touches the ground and becomes polluted by silt and other chemicals that may be on the ground. Depending on the amount of air pollution in your area, rainwater is relatively pure and uncontaminated - safe for drinking and reuse in your garden and home. The purity of the water will also depend on the container the water is collected in. Simply filtering or boiling it will make it even safer for consumption.
What will it take to persuade you?
The many benefits of rainwater harvesting are a persuasive and powerful motivator for every household, business and farmer to consider installing a water-wise harvesting system on their property or premises. Here are a few benefits:
- You will save money as your monthly water bills will be reduced.
- Depending on your choice, the initial financial outlay is affordable; rainwater tank systems are relatively cheap to install.
- You may not be an extremist ‘green-peace tree-hugger,’ but we all need to do our little bit to save the planet and rainwater harvesting is environmentally-friendly.
- Speaking of environmentally friendly, harvesting rainwater solutions help with flood control, reducing soil erosion and solving urban drainage problems.
- In under-resourced areas where there is no access to running water, rainwater harvesting tanks give vulnerable communities access to clean water.
Now that you are persuaded 😉
Before you rush out to buy your water tank and rainwater harvesting accessories, you will need to do a little due diligence to decide what water storage solution is best for you. You will either require a water storage system that collects and harvests rainwater from surface runoff or rooftop runoff. The simplest and most cost-effective - especially for households - is the rooftop system. Your roof catches the water and the water is then directed and channelled to a storage tank that will contain a flush and filter system.
You will also need to determine the size of the water storage system for your specific context and usage. Then comes the fun bit - choosing the colour and shape!
STEP Building Supplies
At STEP Building Supplies we believe great products and excellent service are a perfect match, and we strive to offer you both under one online roof. Our experienced team will make it easy for you to choose a rainwater harvesting solution along with all the accessories you will need. We are sure you cannot wait to have yours installed and when you are ready, we will have it safely delivered to your door.