The environmentally conscious trend of installing a water tank in your backyard is growing. Conservation of water is our collective consumer responsibility and water tanks are one effective solution if you have the space.
Being ‘water-wise’ has become even more user-friendly and more affordable thanks to rainwater harvesting solutions such as JoJo tanks in all shapes, sizes and colours. The versatility of these water tanks will easily suit your functional water needs and are designed to fit seamlessly with your outdoor aesthetic. So even if you live in a corner of the urban jungle - if you have a roof and some outdoor space - you can install a water storage tank.
But before you get too excited about the eco-friendly motivations of rainwater harvesting and rush out to purchase a water tank, there is some due diligence that you should do to ensure you get the most out of your tank.
Water tank considerations
Here are 3 questions to ask to ensure you make a wise purchase:
- What is the general rainfall in your area?
- What is your roof size?
- How much space do you have in your garden?
- What will your harvested rainwater be used for - watering the garden/filling the pool, daily household use or municipal backup?
A simple calculation guideline: If your roof size is between 50 and 100 ㎡, you will need a tank capacity of 750 to 2 200 litres. If the size of your roof is 200 to 400 ㎡ you will need a tank size of 2 500 to 10 000 litres.
Water tank sizes
Most South Africans are installing water tanks as a municipal backup solution. To determine the size of tank you will need will not only be dependent on what you are wanting to use the water for but how long you will need your harvested rainwater to last.
On average, a person uses 150 litres of water/day. So for a household of four, a 2500 litre tank will therefore give you four days of municipal water backup. (A general tip when purchasing a water tank is to install as much capacity as you can in the space you have and that you can afford).
Water tank options
There are a variety of water tank options to fit your unique space and budget requirements.
- Above-ground solutions: Here you are spoilt for choice; vertical, slimline, horizontal or low profile water storage tanks ranging from 210 litres to 20 000 litres. These tanks will need to be installed on a base that is smooth and level - either level paving or a cement tank stand that should be at least 100mm wider than the diameter of the tank.
- Underground solution: A tank size of 6000 litres is available and the ribbed design offers superior strength and structural integrity. (It is a great space-saving solution).
STEP Building Supplies
The easiest way to reduce your ecological footprint and start conserving a natural resource is by visiting STEP - your convenient online solution where you get to save more and do more when it comes to all things hardware, DIY, construction and rainwater harvesting.
Our STEP team are ready to answer any of your questions and advise you on the nitty-gritties of installing a rainwater tank and the accessories you will need. All of our JoJo and ECOtanks water storage tanks are BPA-free and have a food-grade black inner lining to prevent algae growth and leaching of harmful chemicals to protect the quality of the water stored. (We’re all about saving water and saving you money, so sign up and receive 5% off your first order!)